Salton Sea Marine Habitat Pilot Project: Sephton Technologies and IID
Project Description: Construction of a ¼-acre salinity-gradient solar pond to generate energy needed to run a vertical tube evaporator that creates distilled water for an adjacent ¼-acre diving bird habitat pond.
- $693K FAP Grant to IID/Sephton Technologies (SWT)
- $98K BOR grant for construction
- Permitting: Environmental permitting in draft form inclusive of CEQA document.
- 2016 Completion of all CEQA and local permitting.
- 2016 selection of main project contractor
- 2016-2018 expected project construction period.
- Total cost of project: $2.45 million
- FAP Grant funds – $693K
- BOR Grant fund – $98K
- SWT/IID in-kind services – $610K
- Remaining funding to come from WCB:$1,049,000 mils.
- Next Steps – Finalize CEQA documentation & circulate public comment and peer review by agencies.